Hydrozonix water treatment technology uses mobile onsite units that are ozone-based and require no liquid chemicals. The EF80 unit can handle up to 80 barrels per minute without creating a waste stream. These mobile units are efficient at killing bacteria in the water, inhibiting scale and reducing friction on the fly.
Hydrozonix technology reduces operating, chemical and disposal costs, and assures that frac fluids will perform as expected without chemical compatibility issues. Our mobile water treatment system has successfully treated more than 65 million barrels of flowback and produced water in five U.S. basins.
High-Volume Treatment without Liquid Chemicals
Other mobile frac water treatment units can have serious limitations. They operate at low treatment rates, require several modules to remove bacteria and other contaminants, rely on chemicals that aren’t compatible with frac fluids, and offer only limited means to monitor water quality or adjust treatment. As part of the Hydrozonix comprehensive water management service, the EF80 system overcomes all these limitations and delivers many other valuable benefits.
The EF80 unit can treat water at 80 bpm, compared to 20 bpm or less for other systems. This high flow rate enables on-the-fly treatment during fracturing and makes the EF80 ideal for quickly treating large water volumes stored in tanks or ponds.
Ozone, Electrochemical and Ultrasonic Treatment
The self-contained EF80 unit thoroughly treats flowback and produced water in a three-step process.
- First, the unit generates ozone and mixes it with the water to kill bacteria and oxidize oil, grease, H2S and heavy metals.
- Next, an electrochemical process precipitates solids.
- Finally, ultrasonic treatment breaks down solids into nano-sized particles that cannot cause scale. The nano-sized particles are carried in the clear, treated water so no waste stream is created, and the hassle and cost of waste disposal are eliminated.
The Hydrozonix service includes accurate real-time quality measurement of influent and effluent water, which enables rapid adjustment to source water variations and assures consistent frac water quality.
No Liquid Chemicals, No Chemical Incompatibility
Because Hydrozonix does not add liquid chemicals during water treatment, we avoid frac fluid compatibility problems common with other methods. The EF80 process eliminates biocides and scale inhibitors from the frac fluid matrix, so treated water has no negative impact on gels or friction reducers and there is no need to add more of these chemicals after treatment. And because the EF80 system uses no liquid chemicals, there are no risks of personnel exposure or environmental spills.
Water treated with the EF80 unit can be pumped at lower pressures and requires less friction reducer than water treated with other methods for important cost savings.
Water treatment with EF80 mobile onsite units
- Ozone-based system requires no liquid chemicals.
- System-generated ozone oxidizes bacteria, H2S, oil and grease, and heavy metals.
- Sensors and PLC monitor and control ozone injection.
- Ozone dissipates quickly and does not impact equipment or frac fluid properties.
- Handles 80 bpm
- High flow rate enables treatment on the fly.
- Can rapidly treat large volumes in storage ponds and tanks
- Real-time sensors measure influent and effluent water quality.
- Enables quick process adjustment
- Assures effective water treatment
- No liquid chemicals required for water treatment
- Reduces health and environmental risk
- Eliminates chemical cost
- Biocides, which interfere with gels and friction reducer, are not used.
- No compatibility issues with frac fluids, saving money on additives
- EF80 treated water creates less friction than water treated with other methods.
- Frac operations can be performed at lower pump pressures.
- Friction reducer amounts can be reduced or eliminated.
- Electrochemical treatment precipitates solids that aren’t oxidized.
- Prevents scaling tendencies in equipment and well
- Tube blocking tests show dramatic reduction in scaling tendency.
- Ultrasonic treatment reduces solids to nano-sized particles.
- Nano-sized inhibited particles cannot form scale.
- Eliminates need for scale inhibitor chemicals
- No solid waste stream is created, eliminating handling and disposal costs.